Care For Others Online Application
Please Note: Due to high demand Care For Others has temporarily stopped accepting applications for assistance.
A Helping Hand so You can get Back on Your Feet
Need a helping hand? Read our eligibility requirements before filling out your application to make sure you will be eligible for the assistance you need to bring you and your family through a difficult time.
General Qualifying Criteria
Care for Others provides Helping Hands Grants of up to $1,000, depending on eligibility. These grants are made to working people, those people who can prove they are willing or able to work, who are permanently disabled or retired but live independently and are temporarily unable to meet their day to day expenses due to circumstances beyond their control. Applicants who are eligible can receive assistance only once a year, twice in their lifetime and the maximum total award will not be greater than $1000. You may be qualified if you meet the following criteria:
1. You are at least 18 years old.
2. You are a citizen of the United States.
3. Your current household "net" earned income or projected earned income is double your rent or mortgage but no more than your rent or mortgage plus $2500.
4. You are currently working 35 hours a week or more or have a documented job offer in hand that will have you working 35 hours a week or more.
5. You have not been unemployed or on leave for more than 60 days.
6. You are permanently disabled or retired receiving monthly benefits.
7. You are no more than two months behind on any bill you are seeking assistance with.
8. Your application is either for yourself or someone living in your household.
9. You have not received a Helping Hands Grant within the same year of this request for assistance.( a year is calculated from the date the last grant was awarded).
10. You have not received a Helping Hands Grant twice already.
11. You have regular access to a computer and the internet and a viable e-mail address to which we can communicate with you.
12. You can access a scanner, fax machine or the postal service during the documentation phase of your application.
13. You will be able to prove through documentation that your need for financial assistance is short term and it is because of an extenuating circumstance
14. You have exhausted all other means of funding your request including but not limited to community, government and church resources and use of savings, investments or other supplementary income.
Please note: The amount of our Helping Hands Grants, up to $1000, is dependent upon eligibility. Applicants who are involved in 3 or more assistance programs, i.e. public housing, PIP, HEAP, WIC, food stamps and Medicaid will be evaluated on an individual basis and may only be eligible for up to $250. Anyone receiving cash assistance ( welfare) is not eligible for a Care For Others grant.
If any of these situations applies to you, you could be eligible to receive a Helping Hands Grant from Care for Others:
• Loss of income due to temporary job loss (no more than 60 days) leaves you unable to pay your rent.
• Working individual or family with unexpected, one-time, medical or prescription drug expenses not covered by insurance.
• Working individual or family in need of auto repair to get to work.
• Working individual or family with temporary( no more than 60 days) disability that prevents them from working and cannot pay a utility bill.
• Retired or permanently disabled on limited income but normally able to manage with an unexpected expense they cannot meet.
• Recently permanently disabled person(s) in need of home improvements to accommodate disability.
• Working people who do not qualify for conventional, government and county funded programs.
Helping Hands Grant Types
Select the Grant Type you wish to apply for:
1. Urgent Needs Grants
Care For Others makes Urgent Needs Grants by remitting payment to a creditor for an emergency or unexpected expense on behalf of the applicant that has been documented to be a temporary, short term or one time financial need. Apply for an Urgent Needs Grant.
2. Bridge to Employment Grants
Care For Others makes Bridge to Employment Grants by remitting payment for a small fee or expense that will allow a temporarily unemployed individual return to productive, full time employment. Apply for a Bridge to Employment Grant.
3. Independent Living Grants
Care For Others makes Independent Living Grants by remitting payment to a creditor/vendor on behalf of persons who are permanently unable to work but who nevertheless are normally able to live independently on the fixed income to which they are entitled- for example their retirement income (pension, social security) or their permanent disability income (SSI).
Apply for an Independent Living Grant.